Let me back up a little bit. When I found out I was pregnant, I started reading like a mad-woman. I read books on parenting, infant care, natural birthing, parenting styles, you name it, I read it. I like to be prepared.
But the funny thing is that I really didn’t expect- NOTHING really could prepare me. I thought life would not change all that much- that I could still do the things I used to do, like go out for supper when I wanted to and take 45 minute long bubble baths. Some of my friends still think they will be able to do these things when they become parents. These are the ones who are still pregnant (or are yet to become pregnant).
But you know what I love about all of the above? It is all so worth it. The past 7 weeks have been the most challenging, yet the most rewarding and fulfilling of my life. An amazing transformation happens as the baby grows and both Blair and I grow as parents. You come to quickly identify and understand what the problem is when the baby cries, and nothing is more fulfilling than being able to keep an infant happy and healthy- especially when they give you a big gummy smile.
- Never will the adequate poop and pee of someone else be so important to you
- Give yourself twice the amount of time to get somewhere as you would have before baby
- Absolutely everyone will give you (often conflicting) advice. You have to learn to trust your instincts and do what works for you
- Those parents who terrorize facebook with photos of their children really can’t help it
- Coffee is your friend (just not too much!)
- Never will you fall more deeply and completely in love